Chavin trekking 3 days, Huaraz, Olleros, Chavin de huantar[Sassy_Social_Share style="background-color:transparent;"]
Trek Olleros – Chavín
3 days 2 nights
Program Duration :3 Days /2 nights
Ending Point: Huaraz
Activities:Cultural, Ecological, Hiking, Camping.
Minimum : 2 persons.
This program can be altered, depending on the physical condition of the Group!
A new and interesting way to trek, we walk 37 kms from Olleros to Chavín , an initiative undertaken by a group of peasant farmers from the Callejón de Huaylas and the Mountain Association of the Olleros-Chavín area. The initiative is designed to promote ecotourism in the Ancash department by rescuing its traditions. This is one of the most spectacular trails in the Cordillera Blanca and Huascarán National Park. The route starts in the charming town of Olleros (30 kilometers south of Huaraz) where llamas are loaded with the necessary travel gear. During 3 days of walking and enjoying the scenic beauty of the area and the views of snow-capped peaks like Shaqsha (5,703 m), Cashan (5,686 m) and Tuctupunta (5,343 m) travelers have the opportunity of sharing the customs and traditions of local peasant communities at Shongo and Nunupata. The route ends at the splendid archaeological site of Chavín de Huántar, built to serve as the administrative and ceremonial center of the first pre-Columbian civilization that spread over most of what is now Peru. UNESCO declared the site part of Mankind’s Cultural Heritage in 1985. Dozens of structures in polished rock, underground plazas and galleries, and peculiar gargoyle heads and carved stone slabs make Chavín an indispensable stop for visitors to the area.
1st Day : Huaraz – Olleros-Tsacracancha
We’ll leave from Huaraz approximately at 7:30 to travel to Olleros, where we will arrange all the gear on the Mules and start our hiking, our Mules will help us with our day back packs. Our mountain supplies will be taken by the donkeys. This day we will enjoy the most beautiful panoramic scenes of the white peaked mountains and beautiful landscapes. In Olleros we’ll start at 3500 m. and finish around 4000m. At Tsacracancha the hike is fairly steady, winding slowly along a river bed with beautiful views of the rolling plains and snow capped peaks of the Huascaran National Park.
2nd Day: Sacracancha– Shongo
After breakfast, the trek will continue, going up through the narrow valley. This day will be a bit steeper than the first day. We will climb towards the only pass on the trek, the Yana shallash pass at 4700m. We will see the peaks of Umashraju, Huantsan, Rurec and other mountains as we hike over the continental divide into the Callejon de Conchucos on the eastern side of the Andes. The trail going down is a PRE-INCA TRAIL, with flagstones zig zagging down the mountainside. We will pass some family communities during the day. We will camp at Shongopampa (3800 m).
3rd Day : Shonkopampa – Chavin
After the Andean breakfast we’ll go down with our animals, passing through the peasant villages of Chichucancha, Hatu & Nunupata. We will continue the trek and see the Huantsan Mountain at 6395m, before reaching the archaeological site of Chavin de Huantar situated at 3050m. We will say goodbye to our mountain staff. Here we have a guided visit of the ruins before returning to Huaraz . The Chavin de Huantar culture flourished more than 3000 years ago. The ruins were once a center of a great civilization, although little is known about the culture, it stylized depiction of cats, birds and snakes carved into the rocks have given historians much to discuss. Along the way back to Huaraz we will pass through the tunnel of Kawish which is the point of the continental divide. We will then transfer you to your hotel.
* Departure and arrival times are approximate.
* Animals depend on the local customs.
* Campsites are subject to change according to our guide’s criteria and the evolution of the group.
* Custom made programs may be prepared for groups with special interests. Extra nights are optional in Chavin.
* All tours may be provided in private upon request as well.
* Bilingual and local guides.
* 3 meals per day. Vegetarian food available on request.
* 2 persons tents, mattresses, dining room-kitchen tent, small tables and chairs cook.
* Animal shepherds, mules for camping equipment and food.
* Transport Huaraz – Olleros / Chavín – Huaraz
* Pick-up from hostel.
* Breakfast on the first day & dinner on the last day.
* Tips and entrance fee to the Ruins (entrance to trail 65 soles).
* Personal travel insurance.
* Sleeping bag can be rented from us.
What do we need when you make a reservation?
*Full name as it is written in your passport.
*Date of birth.
*Departing date for the trail.
* We ask for a 40% deposit, sending us via visa online or Pay Pall +5,5% through this website:
The balance you will pay at our office in Cusco before the start of the trek.
What you should bring:
* Personal sleeping bag , we also rent out sleeping bags
* Trekking shoes.
* Water bottle or micropur in order to purify the water
* Flash light.
* Sun Hat + sun-block.
* Personal clothing for trek and clothes for rain.
* Insect repellent.
* Camera with extra rolls of film.
* Clothes for cold and warm weather.
* Emergency money and money for the tip to give the guide cook and porters.